THE MASS FOR THE DEAD - Horror Stories

Stephen Dee Richards - Non-Fiction Murder Story

 

Free Non Fiction Horror Story

Image from Pixabay under Pixabay License.


Title: Stephen Dee Richards - Non-Fiction

*This is a real event that happened. 

Stephen Dee Richards, who was hanged on the 26th 

day of April 1879, at Minden, Nebraska, for the murder of Peter Anderson, was born in the state of Ohio, and came West in 1876, in search of adventure. 


Part 1: Introduction

Part 2: The Confession

Part3: Second Confession

Part 4: A History of His Killings and Crimes

Part 5: The Execution 

Second Part: The Confession


I was born March 18, 1856, at Wheeling, West Virginia.

My parents are American born, and were

always considered good, reliable people, though my

father made no profession of religion. My mother

was a Methodist, and quite strict in the faith. When

I was six years old, my parents removed to Monroe

county, Ohio, and afterwards to Noble county, the

same state, where they lived until I was eleven years

old, when they went to Warren, in Jefferson county,

and soon after to Mt. Pleasant, in the same county,

where my mother died, September 16, 1871, when I

was 15 years old. Mt. Pleasant is largely inhabited

by Quakers, and when I lived there was a very orderly

town. My parents were not strict, but mother used

her influence over me as a christian woman, and I regularly

attended Sunday School and some one of the

different churches of Mt. Pleasant. During the time

I lived there I went to school and learned something

of arithmetic and grammar, and was not considered a

very bad boy by my teachers. I was a little wild at

times, and sometimes attended dances and other evening

entertainments, but did nothing positively wrong

while there.


A short time before I came West, I sought and won

the affections of a virtuous young lady by the name

of Anna Millhorne. We were engaged to be married,

and would have been in a year or two if I had not

been arrested, for in all my wanderings and wickedness,

I kept up correspondence with her. I may say

that I loved her; at any rate, I loved her as much as

I can love any one.

From the time my mother died until leaving Ohio,

I was most of the time at home, but was working

around among farmers and others. At this time I

opened correspondence with a number of bad men in

the West, among whom were notorious desperadoes.

I also began to pass counterfeit money, which I got

of a New York man through one.of my acquaintances,

and through them and in various ways picked up

the correspondence I have above referred to. In February,

1876, I came West to seek my fortune. I had

no definite object in view, or any definite destination,

but wanted to see the country and live easy and avoid

work. My first stop was at Burlington, Iowa, to visit

Bill Lee, one of my correspondents, who kept a house

of ill-fame opposite Burlington. This man has since

been hung for killing Jessie McCarthy, an inmate of

his house, and a bad crowd both of them. From Burlington

I went to morning Sun, Louisa county, Iowa,

where I worked for Meyers Jarvis on a farm, and then

I went to Mt. Pleasant, same state, and engaged in

the capacity of an attendant in the Insane Asylum.

While here I had my first experience in handling

u stiffs," and it didn't strike me as being very disagreeable

either. I remained here until the fall of 1876,

when I began tramping the state in regular style. I

went to Kansas City^ then up to Hastings, and thence

to Kearney Junction.

Two weeks after my arrival at Kearney I was coming

in on horseback from the South, and fell in with

a stranger, also on horseback; we went on in company

;

at dark we lost the road, and finally camped between

Dobytown and the wagon bridge. Here we built a

fire, and played cards for money, and I won nearly all

the stranger had. He claimed that it was not honorably

done, and we got into a quarrel, but went to bed

finally, and next morning started for Kearney. We

had not gone far when the stranger stopping his horse,

said: " We may as well settle this little matter between

us here and now."

, "In what way?" I asked.

"Either give me back my money or fight," he

replied.

I refused to refund, and he got kind of savage, and

so I shot him. The ball struck him above the left

eye, and killed him almost instantly. After killing

him I dragged him down to the river and pitched him

in. He was a man near six feet high, weighed about

150 pounds, dark hair and eyes, and wore a good suit

of dark clothes, and was about thirty-five years of

age. I took his horse and went to Kearney, and

traded it for another, and went from there south to

Phelps County; was gone two or three days, and

when returning, while near the old " Walker Eanche,"

I overtook a stranger, on foot. He asked me if I

knew what had become of the man I was in company

with on a certain day, referring to the man I had last killed, and said he had seen me with him, and that he

had disappeared. On inquiry I found the two were

friends, and land-hunters. I denied any knowledge

of the man, or ever having seen him. He called him

John ; I did not learn the last name. The stranger

asked me so many questions that I got nervous, and

it seemed to me it would be safest to kill him to stop

his mouth; and for that purpose I asked him to ride

an extra horse I was leading, which he did; and the

first opportunity I got, when he wasn't looking, I

shot him, the ball passing through the back of the

head, and killing him dead. He was a younger man

than the other, and dressed about the same. I never

heard of either one of them afterwards.

This occurred about fifteen miles northwest of

"Walker's Ranche," and there I stayed all night and

slept in the barn. I sold the extra horse in the morning,

and started for Kearney. On the way 1 stopped

at Jasper Harlson's, and while there, Mrs. Harlson,

being a very free talker, asked me if I had been fighting.

I asked her why she asked me that question;

and she replied that there was blood on my shirt bosom

and collar. I did not know it, and was startled,

but remarked, in a joking way, that it must be the

blood of some of the men I had murdered. The subject

was then dropped.

I do not remember how long I stopped in this vicinity,

but it was -only for a day or two, when I went to

Kearney, and then started for Cheyenne, via the U.

P. Railroad, stopping at Plum Creek, North Platte,

Ogallala, and Sidney, occupying in all ten days in the

trip. I had no particular business at Cheyenne or

along the road, but I was uneasy and restless, and all

I cared for was adventure, and that too of the most

exciting kind. I do not remember all what I did

in Cheyenne, but I passed the time principally with

the " boys," and think I had my share of fun. However,

my sojourn in that place was not long, when I

fell in company with two young men who were on

their way to Kansas, and I joined them, not caring

much where I went. I had been calling myself William

Hudson up to this time, and went by this name

till I reached Kansas City, when I " shook" my friends,

and once more took the name of Richards. At Kansas

City I took my first glass of liquor. Thought I

should be arrested for murder, or for passing counterfeit

money, of which I had a good supply. My first

streak of conscience struck me at Kansas City, and I

determined to reform. So I went about twenty miles

outside of the city and went to work as a farm hand

;

here I took sick with a fever, and lay six weeks, and

was well cared for. I bore a good name while here,

and left the last of October and went north into Iowa,

and stopped three weeks at Mt. Pleasant, Morning

Sun, and other points; the last one was Maquota. I

then went to Cedar Rapids, and while there, bought a

span of horses and a buggy of a stranger, paying for

same mostly in counterfeit money. On trying to pass

it, the young man of whom I had made the purchase,

discovered the nature of the cash, and about three

days after the same was made, hunted me up and

wanted good money or the property returned. I refused

to do either, and he threatened to have me arrested.

Then I made some concessions and began to talk business. All this happened in a strip of timber

some three miles from Cedar Rapids. It was just

about dusk and raining. The young fellow had followed

me out there, and the end of it all was that I shot

him. He was a young man, about- 19 years of age,

rather tall and slim, and with light hair and eyes. I

felt a little squeamish, but got over it in a moment,

and at once set to work burying the dead. I did this

by throwing brush over him, and then I left, taking

the team with me. 1 did not know the young man,

but 1 think he was a stranger in the neighborhood.

I left there as soon as possible, and never heard of the

affair afterwards. Soon after I sold the team for good

money and started West again. About the last of

January, 1877, I reached Lincoln, Nebraska, where I

stopped about ten days. Then I went West via the

B. & M. R. R., making short stops until I reached

Kearney Junction, where some persons were waiting

my coming. My object in stopping at Kearney was

to visit Jasper Harlson, husband of the woman I since

murdered, and Underwood, alias Nixon, a notorious

desperado, who was then awaiting trial for alleged

complicity in the Big Spring Train Robbery, and who

has since been leader in the robbery of the Santa Fe

train. Harlson was awating trial for stealing lumber

off the Platte River bridge at Kearney. Both these

men cut their way out of the jail by means of instruments

furnished them by outside friends (I among the

rest), and made good their escape. The excitement

over this was great in Kearney, and I kept away for a

few days, spending the time riding about the country,

but after a while, everything seeming quiet, I returned

to town, and shortly afterward went to Hastings, about

forty miles east of Kearney, to see a lady friend, and

from there I crossed over to Grand Island, a small

town thirty miles north on the U. P. R. R.

About March 19, 1877, I left Grand Island in company

with a young man by the name of Gemge, to

ride to Kearney on horseback. Night overtook us

when we were between Lowell and Kearney, and we

camped for the night near the south end of the B. & M.

R. R. bridge across the Platte river. About 3 o'clock

in the morning I awoke, and as the moon had risen

and was shining brightly, I thought we had best continue

our journey; so I awoke my companion and told

him that I had concluded to start on. He was furious

at being aroused, and swore at me for doing so. I told

him it was almost morning, and he replied that it was

a d—d lie; it was not after midnight. I told him I

had looked at my watch and it was after 3 o'clock.

He replied that my watch was as big a liar as I was.

I told him it was well for him he did not mean what

he said, and he replied that he did mean just what he

said, and had the tools to back it up. I told him that I

had said I would shoot the first man that called me a

liar, and he said: "You do lie, and I have got right

here (laying his hand on his pistol) what will back me

up." After a little more quarreling, in which he

made repeated threats, I suddenly drew my revolver

and shot him as he was sitting on the ground, with

his hand on his six-shooter. He fell back, shot just

back of the ear with a 32-calibre u blue-jacket " ball.

I then gathered the traps together, and taking both

horses started on, going up the river toward Kearney. 

After daylight I left the horse with a settler, and told

him that my partner and I were looking for land, and

to keep the horse until called for, and for what I

know the man keeps the horse yet, for I am sure my

" partner" never called for him.

On the bridge south of Kearney I met some friends,

and with them I went to town and registered at the

Commercial Hotel as F. A. Hogue, and in answer to

numerous inquiries, I said I had just arrived from

Colorado. In Kearney I met several old acquaintances;

among others George Johnson, better known as

u Dutch Henry," and a partner of his by the name of

Hulit, also a Mr. Burns, who was around town with

me nearly all day. March 21, Burns and I were arrested

by the officers of the town and placed in jail.

We did not know why we were arrested that night, but

were told the next morning that we were suspected of

the murder of Peter Geway. I was acquitted, however,

on examination; but Burns was held on the testimony

of a sporting lady he had previously met.

Burns was held until court set, and was then discharged,

no evidence of guilt having been found against

him. This was my first arrest, and before I was told

what it was for I supposed it was for the murder of

the young man Gemge. I was very uneasy, and felt

greatly relieved^when told it was for the murder of

Peter Geway, for of this crime I am entirely innocent.

I now come to that which has given me notoriety,

and for which I am to suffer death, April 26th—the

murder of Mrs. Harlson and her three children, and

the killing of Peter Anderson, the Swede. It is not

necessary for me to detail the events that occurred

from the time I last left Iowa until the above murders

were committed; I will simply describe the killing.

After I was liberated from the jail at Kearney,

1878, where I was confined on a false charge of larceny,

early in June, 1878, and having met with Mrs.

Harlson, she being confined in jail for supposed complicity

in the escape of Mr. Harlson, Underwood,

and Nixon, called on her at her home, remaining over

night. The Harlson family were originally from Illinois,

and were considered a bad " crowd. 5

' Harlson

was a no-account sort of fellow, and his wife was little

better, though she was a shrewd woman, a great

talker, and very inquisitive. She was of medium

height, rather slender of build, sandy brown hair,

gray eyes, rather large, and withal not a bad-looking

woman. The oldest child, Daisy, was about ten years

of age, rather delicate build, sharp, spry, and pretty.

The next was Mabel, a pretty little girl of four years,

and my favorite. Then came Jasper, or " Jesse," the

little boy, two years old. I thought a good deal of

the children, and they in turn hung around me constantly,

and seemed to be very fond of me.

At this meeting in June I came to an understanding

with Mrs. Harlson, that she would give me a deed

of property—quarter section of land—at the expiration

of six months, when she would " prove up."

Price, $600 for farm, crops, etc. After making this

bargain 1 began to work around, and traveled about

the state a good deal, part of the time in Kearney,

Hastings, Bloomington, in all of which places I formed many acquaintances. July 2d I was in Hastings, and

made my headquarters there until October 17th. In

the meanwhile I was at Grand Island some while, and

other places, and on one occasion met Mrs. Harlson,

who was at Grand Island canvassing for subscribers

for a book, and gave her some money ; agreed to

go to her place September 15th, but it was October

18th before I reached there. At this time Mrs. Harlson

made transfer of property to me, and I settled

down for a while at her house.

I have been asked a good many times why I killed

the Harlson family, and I have kept people in ignorance

until now. They are simply these: First, she

talked too much; second, she was too inquisitive;

third, she would have " given me away " had I let her

live. I had told the woman a good deal about myself,

and she had gone through my trunk and looked over

my letters. More than once had she told me that I

was guilty of murder; and so, knowing what she did,

I thought it the safest plan to put her out of the way.

I had come to this conclusion some while, and set the

time Sunday morning, November 3d.

The house is a sod one, containing two rooms—the

first with two beds and a crib, and the other a kitchen,

where the cooking was done. In one corner of the

room was the bed occupied by Mrs. Harlson and the

two little girls. At the foot of the bed was the crib,

wherein slept the baby boy, " Jesse." In the opposite

corner of the room was my bed, and on the night

of the murder this was occupied by a man by the

name of Brown, a friend of Mrs. H., and myself. It

was about 10 o'clock when I went to bed; Brown had

gone a few minutes before. At this time the children

were asleep, and shortly after retiring, myself, Mrs.

Harlson went to bed. We had no words of dispute

in the evening, and nothing unusual happened. I slept

some during the night, but not sound; once I awakened

Brown, and he growled considerably, and for a

moment I had a notion to kill him along with the rest.

This was Sunday morning, and about dawn I got up.

I had slept with my clothes on, and therefore did not

need to dress. The first thing I did was to awaken

Brown, who got up at once, and went to feed the team

and do other things about the stable. It was scarcely

light at this time, and I went out, and when about

twenty rods northwest of the house, near a straw stack

on the plowed ground, I dug a hole with the spade,

and then returned to the house. This occupied about

thirty minutes, and was not very hard work. When on

the road to the house I stopped two or three times

and looked around me and listened. I was ready for

any sort of murder then and would have killed my

best friend had he been in my way.

Previous to going out I had placed an axe near the

door of the house, and immediately on returning I

took this and cautiously slipped in the house, and

approached the bed in which lay Mrs. Harlson asleep.

She did not hear me ; she was breathing regularly,

and the children were also sleeping soundly. I looked

over the situation pretty well before I made the first

move. Once more I listened—I could hear nothing .

but the steady breathing of the sleepers, and it seemed

to me then that my heart stood still. At this moment

—I do not know what tempted me—I passed across the room, and pulled aside the curtain just a trifle.

A ray of sunlight came in and slanted across the bed

of Mrs.*Harlson, right over the partially covered face

of Daisy. At this she moved a little, and murmured

something like " Mamma, Mamma!" and then went

on sleeping. If she had said anything more I might

have lost my courage; but the time had come—now

or never; and, without waiting any longer, I approached

the bed of the mother, and, getting good

aim at her head, raised the axe, and struck her once

very hard on the left side of the head. The blow must

have killed her almost instantly, for she never spoke,

and scarcely stirred. To makefsure*of my work, I hit

her a second time, near the temple, and then I turned

to Daisy, who was still sleeping, with one little hand

over her head, and^a few"curls and part of her face

visible. She laid between her mother and Mabel, with

her head toward the foot of the bed—Mabel laid next

to the wall. I struck her twice with the flat of the

axe, on the left side of the head, near the temple. She,

too, stirred but little, and made no noise. Next I

killed Mabel—struck her on the forehead with the flat

side of the axe, one blow, and killed her dead. Then

I killed "Jesse," who laid sleeping in the crib at the

foot of the bed. I struck him three blows, and killed

him dead. I then stood still a moment, looking at

the bed; and, as Daisy moaned and murmured, and

writhed around some, I struck her two or three times

more, and then she laid quite still! All this time

Brown was at the stable, and did not return to the

house for some time.

The question now was how to get the bodies out of

sight. I had not much time to lose. First, I took

the mother to the grave I had dug, and threw her in.

Then I came back and carried both girls at the same

time, and chucked them in the same hole with the

mother; then I took the baby, Jesse, and threw him

in with the rest; covered them all over with a blanket,

and scattered straw and dirt over them. The

mother was dressed, but the two girls were in nightclothes,

and the baby had on a wrapper. After all

this was done, which did not occupy thirty minutes,

I returned to the house, washed my hands, which

were slightly bloody, and then went to the stable

where Brown was fooling around, and after doing a

few chores, he and I started for Hastings, and were

two miles away bw sun-up. At Juniata Brown left

me. At Hastings—three days, I made a few calls,

but returned Tuesday evening home, or at Harlson's,

and the next day bought a load of corn, and went on

as though nothing had occurred. When asked about

Mrs. Harlson, I said that she and the children had

gone off with Brown, and probably would not return

soon, if they did at all.

I killed Peter Anderson, December 9, 1878. He

was a Swede, though he spoke good English. He

lived all alone in a little house seven miles south-west

of Minden. He was a bachelor. I had agreed with

him to change work in building sod buildings, and on

or about December 1, 1 went there and began to help

him in his labor. His place was about five miles

from the Harlson property. I worked there December

9, when, between the hours of twelve and two

o'clock Monday, in the day-time, as he had been sick a day or two, he accused me of poisoning him, I

denied it, and he called me a liar. We were in the

house at the time, and he was preparing dinner.

When he called me a liar, I told him if he repeated

it I would hit, though I had no idea of killing him at

the time. He was not at all frightened at my words,

but called me a liar again at once; then I knocked

him down, and hit him two or three times, and then

let him up. I thought he would not care to repeat

the trouble, and I asked him if he would not give up.

He replied, " No; I'll fight you all day," and at once

started to pick up an axe; but I was too quick for

him, and, seizing a hammer that lay near by, struck

him a blow over the left eye; he fell, and I struck

him twice more on the forehead, breaking his skull.

He threw up his hand, uttered a cry, and fell to the

floor dead! I was not mad or excited at the time,

but was altogether very cool. I simply was bound to

protect myself, and I did it. I pushed the body one

side, and sat down and ate my dinner. After doing

this, I took the body, carried it down cellar, and

covered it up with clay and coal. Then I came up

stairs, and, looking out of the window, saw some men

coming in a wagon. I thought at first they would

not stop; but they did, and after rattling at the door

awhile, called out, u Pete, Pete!" but Pete didn't

answer. Then they went away; but soon returned

with more men, and I thought something was going

to happen then sure. I was out then hitching up the

team when they arrived, and one of the men asked

me where Pete was, and I told him he had gone to

see a man he had bought some wheat of some time

before. I was about to go away then, but they stopped

me, and said they wanted to see Pete before I

went away, and I said, " I will wait till he comes, or

you can go and see him. 55 They asked for the key of

the house, which I gave them, and they went in; and,

while they were in the house, I fed the horses hay,

and, taking the gray horse, rode home.

I was quite sure these men wTould find the body,

and then I knew the game was up.

As I rode home, I thought it all over, and concluded

it was getting too hot for me there, and that I

had better skip. So I went home, changed my clothes,

arranged with neighbor boy to have my trunk taken

to Kearney and shipped to Omaha, and by Friday

night I was on my way out of the country. I determined

to travel under the name of Gallagher, and so

registered wherever I stopped. Went to Bloomington,

and from there to Red Cloud by conveyance, and

then took the train for Hastings. Here I stayed^several

days, and then took the B. & M. to Omaha, and

from there east via the 0. B. & Q,

I need not detail the incidents of my trip to Ohio.

I went there expecting to stay, as I knew it would be

dangerous for me to return to Nebraska. In due time

I reached my old home at Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, and

found part of my friends there. I was not there long,

when, one day, while in company with two young

ladies, on our way to attend a party, I was arrested,

and soon after taken to Steubenville, and from there

brought to Nebraska.

What I have written may not be a full history of

my life, but all the important events are given, and as nearly correct as possible. I have killed, in all,

nine persons. I am 23 years of age, and am to be

executed on the 26th day of April, 1879. I cannot

say that I regret what I have done—I can't say why

but I don't. I am a member of no church, and no

society. I never played a game of cards until I came

West, or drank a drop of liquor. It has been thought

by some that I am insane, but this is all a myth. I

am perfectly sound in mind and body, and never felt

better in my life than I do at present.

There is one thing more of which I wish to speak.

I have taken particular pains not to bring my lady

friends—of whom I had a good many—into any of

my scrapes. Near Hastings there lived one whom I

called " Dolly." I thought a good deal of her, but I

think it was she who directed the officers of the place

to find me. She must have done this through fear,

for otherwise I think she would not. I passed a good

deal of time at her house, and was always well entertained.

And now I have little left to tell. My trial was a

short affair, and like a small horse, quickly curried.

I was taken from the Kearney jail to Minden, early

Wednesday morning, January 15th, and the trial commenced

before Judge Gaslin, and a jury of twelve citizens,

at 9 o'clock the same morning, and by 4 o'clock

in the afternoon I was convicted of the killing of Peter

Anderson, and sentenced to be hanged on the 26th day

of April, 1879. I plead not guilty to the charge of

murdering Anderson, for I killed him in self defense,

and I think was perfectly justifiable in doing it. It

was simply a matter of death for one of us, and so I

killed him to save myself. After the trial I was

brought direct to Lincoln and lodged in prison for safekeeping,

and here I am now with a full consciousness

that I am to swing in a very short time. I should like to

explain to you what a man's feelings are who is about

to be hanged. It seems strange that I should sleep

and eat well, that I should be anything bat gloomy

and despondent; but that is something the explanation

of which I do not know myself. Since my coming

here, I have done considerable reading—have read

history and travels, with a few biographies, all of which

I have enjoyed. The Warden and Mr. Nobes, the

Deputy, have been very kind to me, and I have not

wanted for anything to make me comfortable, if there

can be such a thing as " comfort" to a man who is

about to be hanged.


And here I may as well close the chapter.,


Eespectfully,

Stephen Dee Richards.

Nebraska State Prison, Jan. 23, 1879.



Next Part: Second Confession


Ads