THE MASS FOR THE DEAD - Horror Stories

Stephen Dee Richards - Second Confession

 


Image from Pixabay under Pixabay License


Story: Stephen Dee Richards - Non-Fiction

*This is a real event that happened.

Stephen Dee Richards, who was hanged on the 26th

day of April 1879, at Minden, Nebraska, for the murder of Peter Anderson, was born in the state of Ohio, and came West in 1876, in search of adventure.

Part 1: Introduction

Part 2: The Confession

Part 3: Second Confession

Part 4: A History of His Killings and Crimes

Part 5: The Execution 

Part 3: The Second Confession


Some weeks before the day set for execution, Richards

showed signs of weakening. A feeling of remorse

was apparent in his action, though he steadily

denied this in his talk. On the last Sunday he spent

on earth the writer visited him at the State Prison,

near Lincoln, and there read to him the confession

made in January, as given in the preceding pages.

The only objection he had to it, was the great detail 

of the butchering of the Harlson family. He did not

deny, and could not, as he had told Deputy Warden

Nobes a story concerning the terrible affair identical

with that now published. There can be no doubt as

to its truthfulness, and his attempt to palliate the

awful crime, by bringing in other parties is but the

poor excuse of a conscience-stricken murderer, about

to meet his God. When those parts were read to him,

relating the details of the murders committed, his

countenance would light up with fiendish joy. As to

the time (thirty minutes) required to butcher and bury

the Harlson family, he said, " I can put people on

their heads as fast as any other man, but it would require

too lively jumping round to do all that work in

half an hour."

The second confession was given the writer on his

last visit to him (Sunday, April 20), and is here printed

without change of phraseology, the only alteration

from the original manuscript being the proper spelling

of words.

I have just a few words to say, not on my own behalf,

but for my friends and relatives. I am known

to a wide space of the public, better perhaps, as the

Nebraska desperado or butcher, than any other name.

So mote it be, but I know myself better than any

other man can tell to the public.

I shall not endeavor to give you a full history of all

my life at this late day, but will go back to where 1

was arrested, and give a few particulars, and will say

a word in regard to the Harlson family and Anderson,

but will not give the full particulars of the Harlson

family, for I have taken an oath that I would never divulge the secret of the whole affair while I

lived.

It has been stated many times before, but as others

thought it was—not as I knowr it was. As I have

said before, and which is true, between myself and

God, that I had bought her right of the place, and

had paid $350 down—$180 of it some time before I

took possession. The agreement first was, that I was

to pay six hundred dollars for the place, and she would

give me a deed for it; but when she was told four

hundred dollars was too little for her place, with the

improvements that were on it, she wTanted another

hundred dollars. Then I had to give her more or lose

the $180 that I had already paid. I then gave five

hundred dollars, and would leave what grain she had,

her farming implements, forty turkeys, and what

chickens she had, and she would give me one year to

pay $150.

The papers were written out, and everything was

satisfactory to both parties, and I was to take possession

on the 10th of November, and was there nearly

two weeks in the last of October, and from that on

until I was to take possession. On the last day of

October, or about that time, a man by the name of

Brown came there. I had seen him a few times before.

Brown was an assumed name. [Richards told

Deputy Warden Nobes the true name of Brown was

Grillis.

Ed.] And on the second day of November,

during the afternoon, a man came who was one of

Brown's friends. I was introduced to him, and everything

passed off pleasantly until about nine o'clock

in the evening, when Brown and his comrade were somewhat intoxicated, and we were all in conversation

about one thing and another, till Brown's partner,

as he called him, called me a d—d s—n of a b—h,

when I knocked him down, and would of given him

something of a thrashing, when Brown interfered,

and, pulling his pistol, said if I hit him again he

would shoot. Then Mrs. Harlson interfered, and everything

quieted down, when Brown said " somebodyhad

to leave there, and if she wanted me, the d—

d

brute, around there, why, he would not stay there;"

when Mrs. Harlson said, " For the Lord's sake not

to have any trouble, for they would leave in the morning,

and, whatever we done, not to do any shooting,

for it would rouse the neighbors." We were all up

but the children until between two and four o'clock

on the morning of the 3d of November, when during

those hours things were in a continual uproar. I was

at the time, I think, the most conscious one of the

outfit, as Brown and his partner were under the influence

of liquor, and I know things were warm for a

while. There were nine shots fired during the two

hours, and I fired four of them, and would have fired

more if 1 had had them; but I had nothing but a

small pocket pistol, five-shot, and only four loads in it.

This was on the morning that Mrs. Harlson was

killed, but I never said that I done it all, nor never

will say just all I know about it. What I said when

I was arrested in Jefferson County, Ohio, was to one

of my old schoolmates, who came in and asked what

.they had me charged with. I answer.ed him in a

joking-like way, ancf said: " With the killing of two

or three whole families, I guess."


Then 1 told trim how Anderson and I came together.

I said that a Swede and I had come together

in a fist-knock, and I did knock Anderson down with

my fist twice, and had not thought of killing him at

any time.

When I knocked him down the second time, I said

to him: "Pete, you had better let up on this job,

when he remarked, " I'll be d—d if I will." Says I,

" Pete, I don't want to hurt you." " I will die before

I will give up," said he.

He then made a step across the room, as though he

was after an axe, which sat a few feet from him, when

I turned about half around, and saw a hammer laying

on the window sill, close by where I was standing. I

struck him once, knocked him down; spoke to him

afterward, and he answered me in a kind of muttering

tone. Some of wharhe said I understood, and

will remember while I live; and while he lay there I

heard a wagon drive up. Looking out under a window

curtain, I saw it to be one of the neighbors. I

crossed the room on tiptoe, locked the front door, the

only one of the house, and sat down andj^watched

Pete. He was breathing very hard. The neighbor

knocked, but I did not go to the door. He walked

all around the buildings, and called Pete several

times. I watched him drive away, and thought to

myself, " Have I killed Pete?" and thought^what I

would do with him. I went out and hitched up the

team to go to my own place, as Pete and I were both

going down that afternoon, when I looked across the

prairie and saw several men coming in a wagon, as

though they were coming to Pete's place. Then the thought was to hide Pete somewhere. I went to the

house, and then went down cellar, and thought that

the best place I saw to put him. He was yet breathing

very hard, and I said to myself he will never live

to get well, but I don't want to hit him again only to

keep him from being heard till I get away. I carried

him to the cellar, where I hit him twice more,

for I did not want to cover him alive, nor leave him

laying on the floor. I covered him under a pile of

coal in the cellar.

The parties then were within a few rods of the house.

I got in the wagon to drive away, when one of the men

who had a shot- gun beckoned me to stop. I waited

until he rode up and told me what he wanted. I asked

him what he took me for? He said something was

wrong, and he wanted to see Pete. I thought what to

tell him and would tell a lie to keep from being caught

right there. He asked me to turn around, which I did,

and told them that I would unhitch if they said so, till

they saw Pete. They thought it best that I should

unhitch, and while unhitching one of them asked me

for the key to the house, and I handed it to him. They

all went in and I thought if I ever got away now was

my time. I mounted on a horse and left. I went to

my own place, washed and changed my clothes, and

started for Red Cloud, about 65 miles southeast ofmy

place. This was on Monday the 9th of December,

1878, and was about 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon

when I started for Red Cloud, on the Republican River.

I made two stops on my way, first at Bloomington,

next at Riverton, and got to Red Cloud about

half past three o'clock in the morning. Took the train

from there to Hastings. I stayed there from Tuesday

morning till Friday, then started East for Ohio to see

my folks. I was expecting to be arrested at any time.

I carried a pair of six shooters in readiness from the

time I left Hastings, Nebraska, till I got to Wheeling,

W. Ya.

Stephen D. Richards.


We hereby certify that the foregoing confessions of

S. D. Richards were made in our presence at the Nebraska

State Penitentiary, and that none others have

been made by him while in custody here.


H. C. Dawson, Warden.

0. J. Nobes. Dep'y Warden.

Lincoln, Neb., April 25, 1879.


Next Part: A History of His Crimes

Ads